A beautiful skin having some unwanted spots is not a happy sight! Commonly known as melasma, the dark skin spots in patchy brown, tan, blue and gray skin discoloration are caused due to the overproduction of pigment in the skin. The common reason of melasma production is the overexposure of skin to the excess sunlight. Sometimes, the hormonal fluctuation in women resolved due to the uneven production progesterone, and estrogen can also affect the fabrication of melasma. According to the studies, 8 out of 10 women worldwide develop melasma in between 20 to 50 years of age. The other name for melasma is 'mask of pregnancy' as it is more likely to develop around the nose, cheekbones, and jawline during the course of gestation in women.
Some facts about melasma:
The National Institutes of Health reveals that about 6 million women every year in the United States are estimated to suffer melasma having no permanent cure for the disorder. However, this does not mean that the treatment is not available. The most potent reason of causing melasma ie overexposure to sunlight, genetic disposition, inherited dark skin and hormonal changes can trigger some quick solutions.
4 Fantastic Melasma Treatment Options:
- Hydroquinone: Hydroquinone treatment can help the lightening of the skin in the best possibleway as it is available in all the major forms ie as a cream, gel, lotion, and liquid.Consult a doctor before taking the higher strength versions of hydroquinone.
- Tropical Medications: There are several lightener acid like azelaic and Kojic acid that one can use to lighten the skin tone. Tropical medicine is the remedial hub for skin lightening treatments.
- Tretinoin and corticosteroids: Add the minority dose of Tretinoin and corticosteroids to the skin lightening process of hydroquinone to get the best coloration results. You can prepare a triple cream with the help of these three ingredients.
- Other methods: Generally, dermatologists suggest tropical medication as the best practice to counter skin discoloration but in case it does not suit you, then ask your dermatologist to use some in-office procedures like chemical peeling, dermabrasion and microdermabrasion treatment for peeling the topmost layer of the skin.
Some universal prevention to control melasma: No cure, in particular, can ensure permanent results for melasma but trying some natural skin care ingredients is always recommended.
Have a look at the following preventive tips:
- Ditch the sun with an effective sunscreen lotion while going out in the sun.And once you are back, use a fabulous skinlightening cream to control the harmful effect of sunlight.
- Cover your head and skin with an umbrella before going out in the sun.You have to make maximum efforts to keep your skin fresh and hydrated.
- Use natural skin care products to treat your skin in the gentlest way. Give it the coolness of antioxidants and bleaching benefits of some natural ingredients like lemon, cucumber, papaya, potatoes, curd, gram flour, and so on.
- Nourish your skin with the best face whitening cream available